There are a record number of Manitoba farms, rural ag museums and more registered as Hosts for Open Farm Day - 48 in total! It's going to be a great day, don't forget to mark September 18 on your calendar.
Come out and meet your rural neighbours and learn about their farms, their products, and the food they produce for you. When you visit a host farm, you can see demonstrations, share stories, take tours, enjoy recreational activities, and learn more about the many Manitoba farm operations and products.
When you are looking at what host farms to visit, check their information/descriptions for any costs – costs will be identified on each host farm listing. There may be fees for various activities (ex., pumpkin picking, corn maze, etc.), and some farms may have products available for purchase.
Visit as many farms as you like; you can plan on approximately one hour of stay per stop. Host farms will be open RAIN or SHINE. You may also consider staying overnight in the area to experience a full day in rural Manitoba.
Get your family and friends together and head out for your Open Farm Day experience. You may also want to stop along the way to buy local products at pre-picked product stands, u-pick gardens, or local farmers' markets. Click here for Host Farm information.
Things to remember:
- Wear proper shoes, not sandals
- Make sure your clothes don’t have tails, strings, or excess fabric
- Leave your pets at home
- Follow all directions given by your farm hosts
- Keep a close watch on your children - do not let them wander off on their own
- Do not touch or feed any animals without first asking your hosts
- Do not touch, climb, or play on any farm machinery or buildings without permission
- Use hand sanitizer after contact with animals, and as you leave the farm